Monday, September 5, 2011

This has been one of those weeks when I feel I've had much to say, but not enough time to get to the computer to blog and of course by the time I do get to the computer, I've forgotten much of what I thought I wanted to say.  This is a recurring problem.  Note to self:  carry pad of paper and pen at all times. 

Last night our church here wrapped up a 3-day revival.  The pastor's son is also a preacher in Belize and it is he who gave the messages each night.  Delightful to hear.  His messages were on target and encouraging, humorous (at one point saying that God didn't even mind if he prayed with Him in his underwear!), relational, loving, firm, instructional, full of energy and power.  I went alone on Friday night.  It was a gift from B to take the kids and let me go by myself.  I needed it.  We were able to witness 4 baptisms in the sea on Sunday!  What a beautiful gift.  One of them was the pastor's wife.  She had been baptized 40+ years ago, but she said at the time that she didn't fully realize the significance of it and she wanted to be re-baptized.  So blessed to be surrounded by sisters and brothers in the faith that are real and let down their guard. 
Can you imagine being baptized by your son and husband?
We love this church.  Everyone sings as if it is a contest to be the loudest regardless of pitch.  Some nights we sing a song about loving each other and travel around the room singing and greeting one another with hugs and kisses.  There are no Sunday Schools or nurseries or programs.  We are all there together, worshiping, listening, loving, helping.  I think this must have been like it was for the church in its beginning when they met in homes.   We are asked and encouraged to stand and give personal testimonies of God's work in our lives.  Some come in dress clothes and some come in t-shirts, shorts and barefooted.  Some speak English and some speak none.  We come in all colors and income levels.  But we all share the love of Jesus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment