Thursday, September 1, 2011

Friends

L to R:  Jamar, C, Tarrell, KR, H, Isaiah, Maurice
Here is proof positive that God gives us the desires of our hearts.  My kids are making friends here.  This group of boys stick to us like bees to honey.  That is not to say that they are pests in any way, shape or form, simply they are always buzzing around and very busy.  Sweet giggles, counting to "tirty" for hide-and-go-seek (I love hearing them speak Kriol), slides down the banister, stomping feet as they run through our big house.  They have no sense of over staying their welcome--they show up beginning just before 9am and would stay until bedtime if I let them.  Good boys all of them and they are ALL BOY!  Whew!  Our kids are a bit overwhelmed with having them here everyday and for so long.  They started telling me, "But Mom, I can't get anything done that I wanna do.  They are always here and expect me to figure out something to do.  They can be loud.  I want to do something quiet and by myself sometimes."  B and I just looked at each other and laughed.  School starts next week for all of us and that will change everything and we'll all be begging for all day playmates soon again. 

Some friends that keep appearing that we wish would die--literally die--keep showing up.  Honestly, give me the bad penny over these!  This is our "tird" (can't help myself with the Kriol) scorpion in 4 weeks.  Enough already!  I've told some, but KR even found a tarantula outside in a rubbish pile at the foot of our stairs this week.  EEEEKKK!  B & I have our attack plan down at this point.  He goes for the broom and dust pan while I fetch the saucepot and the kids now run for the bug spray.  We all get into place (kids standing on furniture or the island in the kitchen), B sprays and scoops and then I go in for the kill with a One-Two Smash! with the pot!  Here is our latest victory:
Die!  Die!  Die!
H has begun to modify his nightly prayers to this:  "Dear Jesus, thank you for this day and that it has gone well.  Thank you for soft beds.  Please keep all scorpions away and keep us safe from them.  Thank you that you came to die on the cross for us.  Thank you for bug spray.  Thank you for geckos that eat scorpions."  You get the idea.  I love to hear him pray at night because it is a recap of the day.  One day he thanked God for peanut M&Ms because it was the first satisfying treat we'd had in weeks.  The prayers can sometimes drag on and on and on and on and B & I grow impatient.  Last night I said that I was glad that he was thankful for all of these things but that perhaps sometimes he could give an edited prayer with everyone and then give God the unabridged version himself after we leave the room.  Still sweet.  Glad that Jesus is his friend and someone that listens without ever growing tired.  Find myself wanting to sing, "What a friend we have in Jesus, All our sins and griefs to bear, What a privilege to carry, Everything to God in prayer..."


No comments:

Post a Comment