Tuesday, May 21, 2013

In Good Health

...or at least better.  A week or so ago I endured my annual physical with my family doctor.  Our health insurance is practically non-existent, but we are allowed one covered physical per year.  Since the kids all need them prior to summer camp and B needs one for his CDL and prescription we get them all at the same time.  I am the only one who doesn't need one, but I obediently go and set a good example for the kids and give some assurance to B that everything is still in working order.

In years past, Dr. K has been concerned with my weight and subsequently my cholesterol.  My cholesterol has been elevated for some time now and he has prescribed medications for me which I have refused to fill.  I do not want to be labeled with "high cholesterol" for life, which happens when you apply for things like life insurance.  They don't care if you have recovered; the tag sticks with you.  I do not like the side effects of the drugs he prescribed, especially the potential of muscle loss.  (I do know some who have suffered this.)  Overall, I do not want to take medications for something that I can control by having better habits and correcting my ways before I develop ___fill in the blank___.  I want to be healthy, not covering symptoms of my problem.

If you have been following my blog for a while, you'll remember that I started a journey to better health (years ago really, but my weight wouldn't change even though I was doing all of the right things) in January.  I'm not ready for my final reveal, but I thought that I would post my numbers.  Prior to starting the regimen early this year, I had several blood samples taken.  My numbers were uglier than they had been the previous year.  Drat!  After so much hard work too!  But, here I was, sitting in a different office determined as ever to take off the weight, no matter the cost.  (Stubbornness runs in the family.)

This chart represents my blood results in January prior to starting my journey and then on the right the results from a week or so ago.  I find them very encouraging.  Dr. K. was impressed.  Celebrate better health!
On fridge as a daily encouragement

No comments:

Post a Comment