Monday, January 28, 2013

Crammed

I don't have a photo to share today, and that is part of the reason I am writing.  Confused?  Let me explain.  I started a new diet.  To date I have lost 12 lbs.  B's taken weekly photos of me so that I can see the difference.  Truth be told, I haven't looked at these photos yet since they are on a different camera than I normally use and I am lazy enough not to upload the photos from it to the computer to view and use.  Pitiful, I know. 

This diet has been difficult in some ways and the best ever in others.  There are fast results which is very encouraging and is a great motivator to stay invested in the program.  I'm learning to adapt to smaller portions and coming up with my own spices and flavors to what would have before the diet seemed to be bland food.  Some of the food is good enough that my mother took down one of the recipes to share with her sisters!  No tasteless cardboard here, friends! 

After this amount of success, however, I thought that my clothes would be falling off of my body, but that hasn't happened.  As I dressed after showering today, I slipped into one of my favorite pairs of corduroys and they fit beautifully.  They were comfortable.  I didn't have to suck in the gut to fasten them or even do the jump and pull to get them up and over my hips.  (You know you've been there.)  After getting over the disappointment of not needing new apparel yet, I wondered just how much I'd crammed myself into all of my clothes.  What I thought was "fitting" was really "almost splitting the seams".  D-E-N-I-A-L!  I had heard or read a few years ago not to size up clothes so that you could feel the discomfort and then want to lose weight. 

My problem has been that I spend my life stuck in consistent motivation and action with no results, thus causing continual discomfort in the clothes I crammed myself into.  How extremely aggravating to be doing all of the "right things" (drinking water, eating right, trying different regimens, exercising, not eating desserts/treats/junk) and not have any visible results.  I've developed slightly elevated cholesterol despite my efforts too.  Grrr!!!

I don't think this diet is for everyone.  I have learned through trial and error myself that what works for some, does not work for everyone.  We all have different bodies, chemistry, heritage, lifestyles, genetics, likes, motivations, energies, etc. which make us unique in what finally helps us achieve our health goals.  This is what keeps me from stating just what my diet is. 

Be encouraged to try different things.  To try different combinations.  To experiment with your body.  To know that M.D.s don't know it all--but always let them know what you are trying.  Find a doctor that listens to you and treats you like you know something too.  (Stepping down off my soapbox now...)

Cheers to all who find that they no longer need to cram!

1 comment:

  1. M has been tracking her food intake and exercise through a website since the holidays. She has found several interesting things, like it is almost impossible to cut down your sodium intake. I started my kids on veggies early and they love them. Her favorite foods are baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, bananas, and kiwi. We always have to have those on hand.
    Good luck on your diet!

    ReplyDelete