Sunday, December 2, 2012

My Favorite Christmas Movie


Curling up with a cup of hot cocoa and my knitting to watch this classic Christmas movie is something that I look forward to doing every year.  I love Irving Berlin's arrangements and have since even before watching this movie for the first time nearly 10 years ago.  My high school choir director introduced me to Berlin.  (I got to see my director this weekend at home.  Just the back of his head as he was stepping down the curb at McDonald's, but I interrupted a conversation with my husband to point him out.) 


The voices of Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney can melt hearts and Danny Kaye and Vera-Ellen are great too.  Often I catch myself singing "Sisters" or "Count Your Blessings" throughout the year.  "Snow" is fun and I like the harmonies.  "White Christmas" is the perfect ending to the movie. 


The dance numbers are fun to watch.  If Judy's (Vera-Ellen) waist got any smaller she'd simply disappear.  One of the funniest scenes is watching Bob and Phil don the sisters' costumes and perform in the club.  Is it just me or should Danny Kaye win an award for his funny faces? 
 
 
The storyline is heartwarming and has purpose.  Can I live and work with the Wallace and Davis team or be another Haynes sister please?  Can Hollywood produce some more holiday movies with this feel please?  Can we have relationships like these characters?  What great times.  Perhaps I should holiday in Vermont.  Maybe the General has room for me at his inn.  I don't even think I'd mind the lady at the front desk steaming open my mail.  :)
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment