Monday, March 5, 2012

Not Intended

We had fun watching this squirrel raid the bird feeders the kids crafted from water bottles a couple of weeks ago.  (Note that the large feeder is empty.)  I took video too, but I can't seem to get it to upload onto the computer to then get it to the blog.  (grr)  Our furry friend grabbed the bottle with both hands and would shake the dickens out of it, turn it sideways and bite at the plastic.  Part of me wished the little burger would choke on one of the foam stickers used for decoration, but then I realized I was still providing food for nature even if the feeder was meant for birds and not squirrels.  I settled in for an afternoon of cookie baking since I can see this window from the kitchen but it is still far enough away to not frighten him off from providing the afternoon entertainment.  I later discovered that he wouldn't have minded me being closer.  The feed was enough of a distraction for him to keep from turning around to give me a photo of his face when I opened the back door to try to startle him enough for a "deer in the headlight" photo. 

A little later I thought it would be funny to ask the arts and crafts teacher, Mrs. Wik, for a refund, since, after all her BIRDfeeder had become a SQIRRELfeeder.  I was geared up to give her a good razzing today, but she was sick.  Hope you are feeling better soon, Mrs. Wik!

Anyway the squirrel at the birdfeeder made me think about different areas in my life or even other silly things around the house that are not used for what they were originally intended. 

This week I used a cake tester and then a long round file from hubby's toolbox to retrieve a paper towel from the bottom of a 10mL cylinder during science lab.

A chip clip works well as an emergency pony-tail holder in the kitchen!

Junkmail as a bookmark.

Pencil as a stitch holder.  

Tuna cans instead of test tubes (also for science lab--we had an excellent tuna casserole afterward)

What else can you think of?  What is your funniest?  Most dangerous?  Most MacGyver-ish?  

 

2 comments:

  1. Wooden spoon to poke stuffing into homemade cloth dolls; small quilt thrown over rod in place of missing curtains; plastic grocery bags for EVERYTHING but also to place between non-stick skillets in drawer to prevent scratching. This is fun! Can't wait to hear from others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of bandana handerciefs hung catty-corner over a curtain rod makes a cute & cheap valance. Plastic divided bead containers from craft dept are great to store earrings. The rubbermaid cake carrier becomes a salad bowl/with a lid when turned upside down to take to a pitch-in.

    ReplyDelete