Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Telling Her Story

Dry times.  Thirsting for activity or an idea or love or something that you can't quite put your finger on at the moment, and even though you don't know what it is you are looking for, you instantly recognize it when you stumble across it. 

Tonight in my fellowship group we were given a Personality-Based Evangelism Assessment to complete and then analyze.  (This assessment is used as a guide to help us understand better how we can use our personalities to relay the Gospel to others.  We're not all Billy Graham's, although we--the Church at large-- sometimes thinks we have to be.)  My husband and I enjoy taking personality assessments of any kind.  Often after we finish, we swap papers and answer as the other person.  We'll circle differences and discuss them.  Sometimes we are a little tickled.  Other times we are surprised.  We like to discuss our results and as anyone can attest who lives with an engineer, sometimes the discussions last for days as all of the data is processed. 

At any rate, I was initially surprised at the results of the assessment of my evangelism style.  As we sat and processed and reviewed and shared our styles it was brought to my attention that the story of the Woman at the Well (found in John 4) was a Biblical example of the style that I have--Storytelling.  Her example is found in vs. 39  Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony... (emphasis mine). 

Immediately after hearing that example, I knew that my thirst had been quenched.  You see, I had been itching to write/blog and couldn't think of anything that I wanted to write or that I should write.  It occurred to me in that moment of surprise to hear that I was a Storyteller, my thirst was taken away.  I had been thirsty to write. 

The wonderful way that God speaks to me though is that years ago when I came back to Christ, having wondered off the path, He used the message of the Woman at the Well to bring me to Him and to let me know that I would never thirst again.  He is the Living Water.  It is confirmation from Him, you see, to use her testimony once again.  I am still relating to her.  I do have a story to tell. 

I know that Jesus is the only person who will NEVER let me down.  I know that God is a loving Father who will never leave me.  I know that when I don't know which way to turn that the Holy Spirit is within me to guide me.

Billy Graham I will never be, but I will always have time to tell you the wonderful things He has done for me. 

1 comment: