Monday, June 16, 2014

Ceilidh

When I get so far behind in my blogging, it is difficult to decide where to begin.  I suppose it doesn't matter where I begin.  What matters is that there was a lot of living done in the gap.

Today, I'll show you some pictures of the Ceilidh and Scottish Games some friends of ours put together for 150 of their closest friends this weekend.  Frankly, I was more than a little intimidated the more information came about the games.  They requested we do research and limber up for the games.  Scores were going to be kept and awards presented.  Serious stuff these games.  Clans were formed and rivalries started on our Facebook group before the games even started!  Perhaps you'd like to do some investigating of your own.  We had heavy and light games.  Heavy games included the Caber Toss, Hammer Throw, Stone Put, and Sheaf Toss.  We were sent instructions and rules and links to videos on YouTube.  Light games included Tug-of-War, an original game created by our Clansman Mr. Blair called TriBall, which is a version of soccer played by a 3-3-3 system instead of only 2 teams, Cornhole, Watermelon eating contest, Cherry Pie eating contest (the winner found her cherry in a pile of whipped cream in just over 1 second), Clothesline Contest (hold a "phone", "baby" and hang laundry while answering questions in the shortest amount of time).  As you can see, some games were more challenging than others.  No one HAD to play, but your team was awarded participation points if you at least tried.
Opening ceremony.

Points awarded for war paint!  Many had open hands, B thought it fun if he went for a fist.

Are warriors supposed to smile?

Caber toss

Hammer Throw

Sheaf Toss
 Our boys weren't able to attend this year since they were on their way home from Scout camp, but we are all looking forward to next year's Ceilidh.

5 comments:

  1. When we lived outside Charlotte there were Scottish games every year. They have a large population descended from Scottish immigrants. We never went but I remember that it was a big deal. They would show them on the news throwing those giant poles.
    Did you have any haggis at your games? I think I would starve before eating haggis! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No haggis. We all donated a can of Dinty Moore beef stew per person. The hosts popped the top and heated it over a grill. Brilliant idea to feed a crowd AND stick to the Scottish theme.

      Delete
  2. What kind of games would or family host? Extreme euchre?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that no one in the south knows what euchre is? We have made sure that our kids, and several of their friends, know how to play. I guess we are passing on some of our cultural heritage after all!

    ReplyDelete