Monday, February 10, 2014

Yarn Therapy

The winter months sometimes prove to be too much for me.  I have to admit, that the pretty snows we've received make this winter more bearable.  For the days that I'm stir crazy because it is still too COLD to be outside, I've been crafting.

I've crocheted a couple of infinity scarves, although they started off as one crocheted sweater that ended up being too small.  Instead of being upset, I decided to look on the sunny side and ripped all of it out and ended up with a scarf for myself and a future gift.  (I now keep a "Finished Projects" tote in the attic for such items.)

One of my aunts, sent a "pin" of some crocheted hairnets.  I am guessing it was because a couple of years ago I mentioned a snood to my mother, her sister. I wanted something along these lines for my hair to wear to our homeschool cotillion.  Thanks to my hubby who found some yarn at the flea market this summer, I was able to make a couple hairnets.
They were easy to make and comfortable, but I'm not sure I could keep them on my head while reeling.  Perhaps I need to become an expert in the use of bobby pins.  I made the brown first, so that if I didn't do it right, the mistakes wouldn't show up as much against my brown hair.  Since the first was such a success, I decided to make a second, this time in off-white to show off the pattern.

I have enough of the yarn to last me quite a while and I need to do some stash-busting, so I started a pair of socks out of the brown for Mr. H.  I've never made socks out of this type of yarn, so I don't know how comfortable or durable they will be, but, as the title of the blog says, this is more of a therapy for me than cranking out some masterpiece.

The two younger kids stayed home this weekend while their older brother went skiing in Ohio with the Venture Crew.  They spend quite a bit of time hooked up and plugged in, so peeling them from their devices and luring them into spending time with me was my goal.  I succeeded with some adult coloring pages (some you may see in your mailbox this week)!  Both joined me, but only Miss K finished a project.  She also saw me working on some Shrinky Dink buttons.  She had asked for some Shrinky Dink paper before Christmas, but I had trouble finding it.  Lo and behold, it was at the Education store!!!  She got it all wrapped up at Christmas, but then she said she couldn't do anything with it.  Grr!!!  I hopped on Pinterest and found some buttons.  I "borrowed" some paper and made these.
Aren't the birds cute?  They are supposed to look like they are embroidered.  The buttons are about 5/8" across.  Now I just need to make something that needs buttons!

No comments:

Post a Comment