Not having been formally trained as a teacher, but in fact being a teacher, I'm continually looking for methods for teaching and tapping into the learning styles of my children. Recently I've been exploring the Classical Method of teaching and wondering if it is too late to begin something when they are in Junior and High School. From what I can tell, no, it is never too late.
My principal (aka Hubby) and I subscribe to the thought of wanting our children to be Renaissance men (& women). We want to be hungry for learning in many avenues of life. At some point in my life I've felt a little plain when I realized that I was a "Jack of all trades, but master of none." I've admired those who have excelled in a particular area of life. Perhaps they are master carpenters, or missionaries overseas, or artists, or they can read a novel in 3 days. They are really, really good at something. But what I am coming to appreciate about myself is that I can do a lot of things. I may not do them well enough for someone to recognize or ask for my advice, but it certainly has been fun finding new things to do and that I actually like to do the new things!
I am also on a journey to improve my outlook on life and people. Since I know that it takes intentional action to begin any journey, I've specifically challenged myself to put on a new set of glasses through which to view my children. Handy for being a teacher and mother. Yesterday I "caught" the boys teaching themselves guitar with YouTube videos.
Thank You, Lord that I have children that are curious, driven to learn new instruments, and have tools like YouTube to help them.

Since I recently "threw away" Mr. C's iPad he has also started working on his guitar playing again. He is using YouTube too, but I would love to find a good teacher around here.
ReplyDelete