![]() |
| Heat source is a candle |
![]() |
| Mystery combinations |
H and K have had some fun chemistry labs. Last week we worked with the properties of a few common household powders and put them under many tests to see how they were unique and how they reacted to iodine, vinegar, baking soda, and heat. Fun stuff. H even saw that our textbook mentioned making plastic from milk and vinegar. Mom found a recipe online, but it turned out too clumpy and H didn't like the smell. It was just a big, dried out piece of cottage cheese if you ask me, but he had fun.
My oldest, C, is old enough to participate in our homeschool Cotillion this year too. It is our group's formal dance and the alternative to prom. We are encouraged to wear period clothing. B is wearing the tuxedo from our wedding. (NO, we were not married in civil war garb, but the time constraints on finding period clothing for everyone proved to be too difficult.) I took C to be fitted for a tuxedo in Kokomo last week. I can't wait to see him in that. I needed a dress and seamstresses were booked up to their eyeballs, so my brilliant husband turned to the internet and found a seamstress online to make a dress for me. I took on the task of sewing my undergarments. My machine was inherited and with it all of its problems, so again, my loving husband bought a new machine for me to sew with.
![]() | |
| Brother SE-400 |
The new machine does embroidery, which tickles me to bits. I made a hankie yesterday. Here it is:
I made a video, but it is too large to send from my phone camera, so if you want to see the machine in action, you can see it on YouTube probably. Fun machine. I think that I may end up sewing more often.
We've also had spring physicals to prepare for summer camps. Blek! I'd much rather go to the dentist or go through orthodontia again than have my annual physical. Speaking of, H goes to his first ortho appointment this week. C and K are involved in another play that is this week, The Lion King. C is young Simba and K is Zazu. Perfect roles for them. We have 3 performances this week. We've been hosting small group at our house and helping with dinners for it. (Love having guests!) Practices for the cotillion (have to learn the Virginia Reel). Spring recital is around the corner. Monday classes with our homeschool group. Easter. OK. Whirlwind is making me dizzy.
You can see why I entitled this entry the way I did and why I might feel like I am running around in circles not knowing where I am headed next. Did I mention that B has been gone on a couple of business trips through all of this too? Yep! (sigh) Thankfully he'll be home Wednesday afternoon. Good! I need a break!





The one place we lived that did cotillion was very different than what you are describing. The kids went to classes for 6 weeks. Then they all got dressed up: girls in white prom-style dresses, boys and dads wore tuxes. Dads presented the daughters formally and then the kids ate a fancy dinner and had a dance. Parents could observe and moms didn't participate at all.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great time and take lots of pictures! You're doing a wonderful job on your sewing.