Thursday, May 26, 2011

School is Out and Summer Begins

May 24th was H's eleventh birthday.  I uploaded the pictures to the computer this afternoon and discovered there weren't any pictures good enough to include here.  There weren't even any pictures of him blowing out his candles!  There were however, three pictures of B rolling up the sleeping bag that we bought for H.  Next year, I will take the pictures.  H is planning on having some of his friends over tomorrow night so maybe I'll get a second chance at having the party pictures, but I will always know it was a few days later instead of The Day. 

Tomorrow is our last day of school.  I cannot decide if I am looking forward to having the summer off or not.  Of course not having to plan lessons, print off guides, grade papers and having to be on a rigid schedule are tasks I am ready to set aside for a few months, but having children tell me they are bored by ten o'clock in the morning is not something I treasure.  Already this month, I have taken actions to get them to play.  Yes, I sometimes have to force my children to play.  In the picture above, you notice smiling faces, and this was the first day of the required playtime outside.  I have not had to lock the door yet, but I have sent them outside and told them that as much as I love them, I do not want to see their faces until supper time.  One day they came back in after about 30 minutes and they complained of not having something to do, so I gave them chores.  Hopefully they'll learn that playtime does not equate to punishment.  I'm not sure who needs more prayer, them or me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment