Thursday, January 26, 2012

First Sock

As a mother, I remember many firsts with my kids.  First word.  First night away from home.  First tooth.  First day of school.  As mother of a teenager I am seeing my first son grow his first mustache. 

Creating things with my hands also inspires me to remember my firsts.  I'd like to share my first knitted sock.  It's not great, but it fits.  It is comfortable, but I may change my mind after wearing it a few hours. 
Finished product

First time on foot.  Look, Ma!  It fits!

Close up of the heel and gusset. 


This is the looking down on the toe.  I actually used the grafting method!

I made plenty of mistakes.  Some I fixed.  Some I tried to fix.  Others I didn't want to fix and didn't.  Yay me!  (There is a small hole where the gusset and heel meet the leg and toe.  A common problem.  I was glad that it was small!  I also picked up my knitting from the wrong direction at some point and the heel is inside out and I didn't realize it until halfway through and then saw that it carried over to the foot--that is the raised band around the ankle.  You can see all of these easily in the photos above.)

As other crafters know, our crafts and designs become our babies and we overlook "imperfections"  (all our babies are precious!) so I am very pleased with this sock.  Now, just pray that the SECOND sock is better.  I can't decide if I want to try to duplicate the errors (minus the hole) or just try to do it the "right" way.  I think that I want to try for the "right" way this time.  My first pair of socks won't match!  I will always tell right from left.  Tee-hee!

My mother is an avid sock knitter.  She also quilts and makes dollies.  Here are some photos of her designs of Sock Dollies.  Enjoy!










4 comments:

  1. You and your Mom are amazing! I so admire your handiwork !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the blue/purple fuzzy socks. You are both so talented, and patient. (And tolerant about the mustache.)
    Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first sock! Your moms dolls are just adorable!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that sock yarn you chose! Proud of you -- for more reasons than just knitting. :)

    ReplyDelete