Thursday, August 25, 2011

Friends Needed for Low Places

Where do I go?
My mind, body and spirit dart, scramble, and split often enough that at any given moment I fall short of any sureness that at any other given moment I thought I possessed.  I feel alone in this mess, although I know this feeling is shared with others from yesterday, today and will be again tomorrow.  I ask myself why I can't have someone to commiserate with and answer directly that God knows that I need someone who is level-headed at the moment so that I have direction instead of the being swept away by the whirlwind of my circumstances.  Thank goodness that He is my anchor and that He provides earthly signs and people for comfort and to take over when I need a break.  B helps the best he knows how, but he has his own tornadoes.  We have spent three weeks here being each others' sole support and now we are in need of fresh strength.  We miss our family and friends--our support network at home.

In lieu of personal support, one thing I turn to to stabilize my thinking is crocheting.  I completed my market bag a couple of days ago.  The handle has been worked over more than an informant of the mafia, but I figured something out.  I used it yesterday and it holds even more than it looks like it could. 
Finished Market Bag
I seek quiet time alone, which is even harder to find in Belize.  I cannot leave the house (except to go downstairs or across the street to go to the market for 5 minutes) without the kids.  I cannot get them to leave me alone for any length of time so I can regroup.  I even broke down in tears at the lunch table yesterday begging just to have 30 minutes of uninterrupted time every morning.  As I write this, I have already been stopped 3 times by hubby giving me information for the day regarding his work schedule, 2 times to watch a video H is working on (it is pretty good for a beginner I must say), a shopping trip for milk (a half gallon costs $4!!!!), and a phone call from a company wanting to hire B based upon a resume he'd turned in months and months ago.  I have not seen any Calgon in the markets, but I guarantee that if I do, I'm going back with my handy market bag and buying the entire stock because I am in dire need of some soak time.  I don't think I could fit a sitter in my bag.  Hmmm...

I met a woman last night who said that she does catering.  She has a place down at the end of the walk.  She makes all sorts of things, but what tickled my ears (and stomach) was that she makes Key Lime Pies.  I ordered a tray last night.  I have no idea how much a tray is, but it only cost me $20BZ.  If I can't crochet or blog or bathe or sit in silence, I'll stuff my face and see if that helps. 

Please, Lord, send a friend.  By the time You get this, You may need to send Jenny Craig.


2 comments:

  1. Have you started counting the days for when you get to come home? Maybe the kids can get a job helping the caterer deliver. That might get you some alone time.

    Hilarious comment about Jenny Craig. It was a good laugh outloud!! Too bad you don't see as much humor in your life situation as I do in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids started their new school today and nobody spoke to them. My mama-heart is breaking! As an adult I can deal with not having friends, because I have the husband, but I really want the kids to have someone. Maybe God will provide for you as well as them. He's certainly able.

    ReplyDelete