Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Attack the Killer of Tomatoes

Puny Plants
Has anyone seen my green thumb?  I know I used to have one, but it seems to have disappeared with some of my other things in the last few moves.  Because of the embarrassment, I will not mention the exact number of plants I started off with, but it was more than twice the amount shown in the picture above.  Admittedly it has been a few years since I tried to plant tomatoes from seed, but I assumed that it would be akin to riding a bike and success would be sure.  Boy, was I wrong.  If I have to practice some more before I get this right it will be September before I get anything growing in a pot and clearly too late to put anything in the ground, so perhaps I will "cheat" and purchase some plants from the store.  (sigh)  The title today is a play on the title of the movie, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. I've been singing my version in my head for a week now.  I'm not quite clear why the tomatoes have not yet had their revenge on me. 

I had a good visit with my mom last weekend.  She came over on Thursday and stayed until after church on Sunday.  We had lots of quiet fun--puzzles, knitting, movie, school, and time with Mom II (my mother-in-law). 

B will be home this week.  He called last night to say that he thought he would head home tomorrow, which means that Thursday the kids will see him.  He has had many adventures--buying parts for the wells from a man named of all things, Opossum; driving through barren spaces; getting the van stuck and puncturing a tire after a heavy rain and subsequently needing to be rescued by a backhoe; off-road driving the minivan through cactus; and killing spiders (please note that everything IS bigger in Texas).  All kidding aside, we have learned much from this trip, but not what we expected.  We are also learning to be Spirit-led even when it doesn't make sense to us. 

2 comments:

  1. Is your glass half-empty or half-full?
    Are half your tomatoes dead or half still alive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a much greener thumb than I do. Silk flowers die at my house.

    Actually, I'm glad to see that you're doing a bit of gardening. Keep pluggin' away.

    ReplyDelete